From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Argus Proposal
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2014 21:22:24 GMT
I had started typing up a response to Henry's mail but will discard the
beginning of it to say I agree with Owen. A new project coming into the
incubator quite naturally could have the initial set of committers entirely
from one organization. An organization donating an existing code base, for
example.

However, there has been recent discussion elsewhere that the Incubator
should more closely consider if an incubating project has succeeded to grow
a community beyond the initially limited group before declaring a project
ready for graduation. (Refer to the discussion on the graduation of Apache
Tez.) This position seems reasonable, and should naturally apply here. If a
project exits graduation with the same lack of PMC/committer diversity with
which it entered, this is in effect Apache-washing, in my opinion. A
stacked PMC is no more open a community then one controlled by a BDFL and
hosted on GitHub.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy