From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Falcon version 0.5-incubating
Date Fri, 23 May 2014 16:31:36 GMT
Hi,

-1 (binding) due to binary in the release + possible LICENSE/NOTICE issues

Signature + hashes good
DISCLAIMER correct
NOTICE and LICENCE seem to contain too much (see believe)
All source files  have correct headers
There's a binary in the release
Can compile from source
Test pass

What external code has been bundled with the source? To me it look like the NOTICE file may
be referring to a binary release not the source release? For example it mentions antlr in
the NOTICE file but I can't find any antlr code in the source release. As antlr is BSD does
it even need to be in NOTICE file?  It's may be that all source files have had their headers
changed to ALv2?

I also not the use of some fonts (from http://glyphicons.com?) and while they are included
in the NOTICE but I'm not sure how they have been licensed. If it the free version and if
so have the terms of the license met? [1]

Some minor issues:
- release is missing "apache" in it filename
- DISCLAIMER, CHANGES, LICENSE, NOTICE etc don't usually have .txt suffix
- Seems that you can only compile with Java 1.6 and not 1.7  this should be mentioned in the
release notes
- The compile instructions assume you are checking out from version control rather than compiling
the source release
- .twik documentation files may need ALv2 headers

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://glyphicons.com/license/