From "Christian Grobmeier" <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] [PROPOSAL] Apache Monitoring
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2013 13:47:14 GMT
Nechtan sounds cool also. Please note, in the german wikipedia its
translated with "The tremendousness". This is not noted on the english
wikipedia. After reading wikipedia I am still not sure what Nechtan
stands for. But I like its sound.

I just found "Sirona", goddess of healing. Because monitoring is
"identifying the sickness before its getting worse". However, Sirona is
used by companies related to healing (aka dental works).

What I found interesting is this page claims Merlin being a god:
http://wicca.com/celtic/wicca/celtic.htm
of protecting, counseling, crystal reading and so.

A few projects use Merlin, but all are very small ant not related to
monitoring.
There is a project management software called marlin:
http://www.projectwizards.net/de/merlin/

I believe we currently have:

Apache Leitstand
Apache Nechtan
Apache Merlin
Apache Sirona
Apache Heimdall
Apache Dagr

Cheers

On 25 Sep 2013, at 15:03, Stephen Connolly wrote:

> Why not try Celtic mythology.... I was thinking "Apache Nechtan" due
> to the
> association with access to knowledge and floods... but heck I am not
> good
> on my Irish mythology and the Norse ones always sounded way cooler
>

> On 25 September 2013 13:23, Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I also see thor is being used by infra:
>> status.apache.org
>>
>> (mentioning, because it has been proposed as name too).
>>
>> However, it's not so bad. I actually mixed up Baldur with Heimdall,
>> who is
>> the actual "protector" of Bifröst. Baldur was more known because he
>> was
>> able to return from Hel (sounds like a good name for a server ;-)
>> A quick crosscheck told me Heimdall is not used that often.
>>
>> For those who were concerned about using nordic godnames: Heimdall
>> was
>> named as the "father of all humans".
>>
>> He was also known for his horn Gjallarhorn which he blew when danger
>> appeared. Most notable he blew that horn when Ragnarökr (the end of
>> our
>> time and the fall of the gods) starts.
>>
>> I imagine the sound of a horn when critical notification of the tool
>> happens ;-)
>>
>> Another idea i just had was "Dagr". It old norsk for "Day". In old
>> myths
>> Dagr is the son of night and he rides his horse Skinfaxi through
>> heaven.
>> The crest of the horse lights the earth with golden shimmer. I
>> imagine
>> Apache Dagr to shed light on the dark corners of our applications.
>>

>> Heck, when I was young i read a lot about northern mythology. Its so
>> poetic. I should spend some time to read again.

>>> Just a heads up from infra; baldr.apache.org is already very much a
>>> thing, and has been for more than five years. If it can be avoided,
>>> we'd
>>> really appreciate it if we can keep the name Baldr for our
>>> infrastructure.
>>>
>>> With regards,
>>> Daniel.

GUI is