From "Christian Grobmeier" <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] [PROPOSAL] Apache Monitoring
Date Wed, 25 Sep 2013 12:23:43 GMT
I also see thor is being used by infra:
status.apache.org

(mentioning, because it has been proposed as name too).

However, it's not so bad. I actually mixed up Baldur with Heimdall, who
is the actual "protector" of Bifröst. Baldur was more known because he
was able to return from Hel (sounds like a good name for a server ;-)
A quick crosscheck told me Heimdall is not used that often.

For those who were concerned about using nordic godnames: Heimdall was
named as the "father of all humans".

He was also known for his horn Gjallarhorn which he blew when danger
appeared. Most notable he blew that horn when Ragnarökr (the end of our
time and the fall of the gods) starts.

I imagine the sound of a horn when critical notification of the tool
happens ;-)

Another idea i just had was "Dagr". It old norsk for "Day". In old myths
Dagr is the son of night and he rides his horse Skinfaxi through heaven.
The crest of the horse lights the earth with golden shimmer. I imagine
Apache Dagr to shed light on the dark corners of our applications.

Heck, when I was young i read a lot about northern mythology. Its so
poetic. I should spend some time to read again.