incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Greg Stein <>
Subject Re: [MENTORS] Third Party source
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2012 22:00:10 GMT
On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Alex Harui <> wrote:
> On 6/7/12 1:58 PM, "Greg Reddin" <> wrote:
>> Hi Incubator,
>> See the email below from Alex Harui. I need help figuring out what to do here.
>> I'm not sure if Jeff was ever an employee of Macromedia or what the
>> full situation is. Perhaps Alex can clarify if needed.
> Jeff was an employee of Macromedia and Adobe but left before Adobe donated
> his code.
>> Essentially, we wanted to offer Jeff commit rights to make the
>> modification as suggested by Roy. But Jeff indicated he's too busy to
>> do it. Since he owns the copyright and seems willing to donate the
>> code, what would be the appropriate methodology here. Do we need a
>> software grant? Would it be sufficient to have an ICLA on file from
>> Jeff?
> Adobe already donated the code with Jeff's permission, but with Jeff's
> copyright still in the headers per [1], which also says we should not modify
> the copyright in those headers without his permission.
> "Should a project move non-ASF copyright notices from Apache source files to
> the NOTICE file?
> No. If the copyright owner is still involved with the project, they should
> move the notice themselves or permit us to do so..."

That policy exists for us to be nice to the original copyright holder,
and to ensure that we don't accidentally remove a statement.

Since we have the grant from Adobe, just move the copyright notice
yourself. I suspect we'd even have the right to remove it entirely,
but again: to be nice, we'll retain it in the NOTICE file.

Jeff doesn't have to do it himself: that's just deference to his
wishes and ensuring that we don't pre-suppose or get them wrong.


To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message