From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Regular rotation PMC chair
Date Sun, 29 Jan 2012 20:37:40 GMT

On Jan 29, 2012, at 12:16 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Alan D. Cabrera <list@toolazydogs.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 29, 2012, at 6:18 AM, Ate Douma wrote:
>>

>>> FTR: as should be clear from my above response, I disagree with the topic of
this discussion thread. This should be about Regular (re)election of the PMC Chair. Regular
rotation IMO would be unwise and undesirable.

>> Good point.  I share the same opinion.
>
> Let me try to state some alternatives:
>
> 1) No particular policy: The PMC has no special policy about
> recommending a new chair to the board. It will happen if the chair
> resigns, or if the PMC as a whole reaches a consensus on a change.
>
> 2) Fixed election schedule: On some schedule (e.g. annually),
> nominations are opened, including potentially the current chair, and a
> vote takes place. (I'd hate to have to fire up the full secret ballot
> mechanism used for board members.) Whomever wins is recommended to the
> board.
>
> 3) Rotation policy: On some schedule, the PMC chooses a new chair to
> recommend to the board 'whether it needs one or not.' This could be
> viewed as 'term limits'.
>
> If we don't reach a consensus on something else, we stick with the
> current state of affairs, which is, I claim, (1).
>
> We could adopt both (2) and (3): purely for example, we could have an
> annual election, but a 5-year maximum on continuous service.

My preference is option 2 alone. I don't see the point of "term limits" as I believe that
will take care of itself.  I'm not in favor of 1 because it always seems to end up feeling
like it is personal when people bring up rotating the chair - i.e. isn't the current chair
doing a good enough job, the current chair should say they want to resign first, etc., rather
than it just being time to allow the PMC to reevaluate itself

Ralph