incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Niall Pemberton <>
Subject Re: OpenOffice: were are we now?
Date Sun, 05 Jun 2011 18:21:01 GMT
On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 1:02 PM, Christian Grobmeier <> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have tried to follow as much as emails as possible but it's
> overwhelming. Anyway I feel that several questions do not longer
> belong to the pre-incubation phase but should be clarified after we
> have accepted the podling. Many questions are around "Can/Should we
> have a second office community?", "is ASL better or GPL", "can we
> handle all the dependencies" or "what direction should it go". I mean
> "svn vs git" is really a topic for the openopffice-dev list.
> Most of them are all questions we can answer when have a podling - we
> need votes to decide and a podling population. At the moment its just
> noise. And to be honest, a separate ML for these issues would be also
> cool.
> My question: are we already able to vote for the podling or not?
> If no - what questions need to be answered before we vote?

This proposal raises lots of questions, but the requirements for
entering the incubator are not high and so IMO don't need to be
answered before a vote. The only reason I believe for rejecting this
proposal would be because it would be in the best interests of the
community to not split the FOSS development and compete with

I think we should seriously consider that before voting.

I agree with all the arguments that ASF members have been putting
forward about the good things for an OO project here at the ASF. I
much prefer the Apache License and the freedom it provides to that of
copyleft licenses. The ASF is a great home for projects and has a long
history with established processes and policies. However, I have great
respect for what LibreOffice have done and the community they have
established. The copyleft license isn't ideal IMO, but other than that
I have great respect for what they've managed to setup and the vibrant
community that they've established. If LibreOffice hadn't happened
then I think it would be better to have an OO project here at the ASF.
But it has and they are too far down the road and have expended too
much effort to make it appealing for them to join in here.

We should also remember that, with Oracle abandoning OO, we are being
used to facilitate their business relations with IBM. IBM could (and
still can) decide to put its efforts into LibreOffice and while we may
have philosophical differences over license, they surely don't as we
witnessed when they transferred their efforts from our Harmony project
to the GPL'd OpenJDK.

IMO the only negative thing then about LibreOffice is the copyleft
license - everything else about them is great. When deciding whether
to accept OO we should consider whether that and facilitating BigCos
interests is worth splitting the FOSS community.

I am considering voting -1 to this proposal for those reasons.


> I saw there is a lot of support for this proposal and the initial
> committers list has grown immense in just a few days. There is already
> a good amount of mentors and I will add myself too. Code grant seems
> to be OK and all the other entry criterias seem to be taken. If the
> would vote would be today, I would vote +1 clearly, because everything
> we want in the Incubator seem to be solved.
> Again are we able to vote on the podling? If no, please specifiy why?
> Cheers,
> Christian
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message