From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: FW: (qpid) Diversity
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2008 19:26:31 GMT
Marnie McCormack wrote:
> All,
>
> Several of our project (Qpid) memebers are legally in a difficult position
> disclosing their employer in Apache world.

Does that mean they are contributing in their private time rather
than as part of their jobs? If so, they should be considered as
independents. If contributing to the project is part of their job
responsibilities, they should be required to disclose the employer.

> They have signed a legal
> document, in order to be allowed to contribute to Apache, and thus this is
> not a simple preference issue.

My own employer's requirements are something like "must not create
the impression to act on behalf of the employer". It doesn't say
"is not allowed to disclose the employer". A statement like
"independent contributor, working for XXX in the day job"
would satisfy that.
If it's just one or two of that category, I wouldn't care about
the employer at all. But previous postings suggest that a lot of
people are working for the same employer, and that's something
that should be clarified. Maybe it's a club of spare time developers
that met at work and are now jointly working on Qpid?

cheers,
   Roland