From Carl Trieloff <cctriel...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Graduation resolution feedback - Qpid as TLP
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2008 19:27:35 GMT
sebb wrote:
> On 04/03/2008, Carl Trieloff <cctrieloff@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> sebb wrote:
>>  > On 29/02/2008, Carl Trieloff <cctrieloff@redhat.com> wrote:
>>  >

>>> Craig L Russell wrote:
>>>
>>  >> Comments on last version ..
>>  >>
>>  >>  - It looks like you are using a non-applicable template for the board
>>  >> resolution. Take a look at other incubator graduation resolutions.
>>  >>  - Specifically, the paragraph on establishing bylaws isn't applicable,
>>

> See below.
>

>>  >>  and the incubator needs to be discharged of responsibility.
>>  >>
>>  >
>>  > -See below - only half of the above seems to have been addressed.
>>

>>> Still seems recursive to me, see below.
>>>
>>  >
>>  >

>> Take a look below at the update and see what you think... I believe I
>>  have fixed
>>  the recursion you noted.
>>

>>  >
>>  >        RESOLVED, that the initial Apache Qpid Project be and
>>  >        hereby is tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended
>>  >        to encourage open development and increased participation in
>>  >        the Qpid Project; and be it further
>>  >
>>  > Is the above paragraph needed?
>>  >

>> Checking with our mentors it seems that it is needed. any particular
>>  reason why you
>>  believe otherwise or just asking to be sure?
>>

> Because  of the comment above:
>
>     "Specifically, the paragraph on establishing bylaws isn't applicable,"

Happy to remove it -- any of our  mentors want to comment?  Some board
reports have it
some do not. For example the latest Synapse resolution does not.

>>  Updated resolution:
>>

>>       WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best
>>       interests of the Foundation and consistent with the
>>       Foundation's purpose to establish a Project Management
>>       Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
>>       of open-source software related to distributed messaging,
>>       for distribution at no charge to the public.
>>

> May need to mention AMQP in the above paragraph.

looking at some of the recent resolutions, they separated definition of
the term used
in the first paragraph to the third to avoid recursion... Based on
comments I think it
is cleaner to not try to expand the definition in two places.

>>       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management
>>       Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Qpid Project",
>>       be and hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of the
>>       Foundation; and be it further
>>
>>       RESOLVED, that the Apache Qpid Project be and hereby is
>>       responsible for the creation and maintenance of software
>>       related to the distributed messaging; a multiple language
>>

> the distributed messaging => distributed messaging

ack

>>       implementation providing daemons and API's for publish &
>>

> API's => APIs

ack

>>       subscribe, eventing and a wide range of message distribution patterns
>>       based on the Advanced Messaged Queuing Protocol (AMQP) and
>>

> s/Messaged/Message/

ack

>>       related technologies such as (transaction management, federation,
>>       security, management); and be it further
>>

> How is this "distributed messaging" different from ActiveMQ?
> Is it just because it is based on AMQP?

yes, it is based on AMQP, provides native support for clients in
multiple languages and focuses
less on JMS as design center, rather AMQP and provides JMS as a client
API if required.

Much like Ant, Maven and Builder, all build systems but the way they do
it is quite different.

Update attached:

       Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
       of open-source software related to distributed messaging,
       for distribution at no charge to the public.

       Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Qpid Project",
       Foundation; and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the Apache Qpid Project be and hereby is
       related to distributed messaging; a multiple language
       implementation providing daemons and APIs for publish &
       subscribe, eventing and a wide range of message distribution
patterns
       based on the Advanced Message Queuing Protocol (AMQP) and
       related technologies such as (transaction management, federation,
       security, management); and be it further

       RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Qpid" be and
       hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at
       the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the
       Apache Qpid Project, and to have primary responsibility for
       management of the projects within the scope of responsibility
       of the Apache Qpid Project; and be it further

       Apache Qpid Project:

         * Alan Conway
         * Arnaud Simon
         * Carl Trieloff
         * Gordon Sim
         * John O'Hara
         * Marnie McCormack
         * Martin Ritchie
         * Paul Fremantle
         * Rajith Attapattu
         * Robert Greig
         * Robert Godfrey
         * Yoav Shapira

       NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that
       Carl Trieloff be appointed to the office of Vice President,
       Qpid, to serve in accordance with and subject to the
       direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the
       Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
       disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it
       further

       RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the Qpid
       encumbered upon the Apache Incubator be hereafter discharged.