From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: Graduation resolution feedback - Qpid as TLP
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 08:23:52 GMT

On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 12:12 +0800, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Saturday 01 March 2008 22:18, sebb wrote:
> > None of the mentors seem to be included.
> > Perhaps this is normal for graduating podlings?
>
> Often Mentors have no direct involvement in the codebase being produced, and
> therefor no vested interested of committership/PMC.
>
> However, I, as a IPMC member, would expect the mentors to "hang around" the
> graduated PMC (for TLPs) a while after the graduation just to provide support
> if needed, and make sure everything is running smoothly.

I would go one further - I'd expect at least some of the mentors to be
members of the graduated PMC for some time. Without that, it is quite
possible that we have a PMC that has no ASF members on it (of course,
not all mentors are ASF members). Given that ASF members are the glue
that keep the foundation together, having some members on every PMC is
important.

So the role of a mentor after graduation points both ways, still
providing guidance to the PMC, and also, where necessary, representing
(in the non-formal sense) the PMC to the rest of the foundation.

Regards, Upayavira