From "Matthieu Riou" <matth...@offthelip.org>
Subject Re: reviving a failed incubation project
Date Sun, 27 Jan 2008 00:31:26 GMT
On Jan 26, 2008 1:28 PM, Roland Weber <ossfwot@dubioso.net> wrote:

> Matthieu Riou wrote:
> >
> > Couldn't we setup a "retired projects" Jira project? Or a specific
> module in
> > the Incubator project? If people have some interest on a retired
> podling,
> > this would allow them to start posting patches. People with Incubator
> karma
> > could apply the patches (I certainly would). If we notice more and more
> > patches going to a single retired project, a new community could be
> formed.
>
> The inquiries I've seen so far were not about patches. They were
> of the "how to I get started" variety. We would need volunteers
> (or good documentation) on how to get into a project to the point
> where patches can be created.

I guess what I meant is that, to get started, you need to get familiar with
the code and start developing on it (hence patches). We're not creating
communities for the sake of it out of nowhere. To get back on track a
project needs committers, so to find who deserve this committership, why not
do what all projects do to find good candidates?

> Many projects that are alive and kicking don't have that kind of
> documentation, I suspect that most podlings don't have it either.
> You'd need people familiar with the podling to guide the newcomers.

How do you usually proceed on an unknown codebase? Checkout the code, see if
it works, how it works and what is broken. Try to fix what's broken and
improve the stuff to fix your needs. It all starts with an itch and then
follows with the code. Then patches. Then committership. If there seems to
be enough candidates for committership on a dead podling, then we can bring
it out of its purgatory.

Matthieu