incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Cliff Schmidt" <>
Subject Re: Blaze and Openness of Standards (was Re: [Proposal] Blaze)
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 05:26:02 GMT

As the Champion for this proposal, I'd like to move this on to a vote.
 I just read all the related posts one more time, and I believe your
concern below is the only one that hasn't been directly addressed (if
I'm wrong about this, someone speak up).  So, I want to offer my
thoughts on it and you can tell me if there is more to discuss before
voting.  Otherwise, I'll probably start the vote within the next 12-24
hours, unless there are other concerns that pop up.

See below.


On 7/31/06, Brian McCallister <> wrote:
> I am still uncomfortable with the AMQP spec ownership and process for
> two reasons.
> 1) The pessimistic and defensive one: Entering incubation at Apache
> implies Apache's endorsement. This is not what we mean, but it is how
> the world will react. This endorsement is partly the point of the
> proposal -- getting the ASF behind AMQP will give it a boost, and
> incubation is still not well understood, even inside the ASF :-(

I don't see this as being different from any proposal that comes to
the Incubator that wants to implement something other than a broadly
accepted standard.  We often get proposals for things based on some
vendor's previously proprietary software.  Sometimes the proposal
includes committers employed by a couple independent companies; in
this case, there are 3-4 employers.  I definitely think we need to be
careful about these projects, which is why I've always been a big fan
of strong incubator branding.

However, I do completely understand your concern about the ASF giving
AMQP a boost too early.  So, while there may be some boost from it
getting incubation status at Apache (which we have to weigh up with
all new projects), your concern is the same thing that makes me
hesitant to advocate that the ASF should join the AMQP spec group.  It
would provide easy participation for ASF committers to the spec work,
but it could also be a big endorsement that I don't think we should be
giving to this group at this stage.  I get the impression that Carl
and the others would be happy to have the ASF; I'm just not sure it's
the right decision for us...but none of this makes me thing this
project should not be accepted for incubation.  Do you feel


To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message