From "Stein, Neil S" <neil_st...@merck.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Incubate TMCg2
Date Tue, 24 Jan 2006 20:00:47 GMT

At Merck, the name TMC originally stood for "Tomcat Management Console"  As
the tool set evolved, the ability to manage Apache httpd was added.  The
full name simply was changed to "The Management Console".  The g2 is a Merck
item and should very well be dropped.     We have been evaluating other
names, and I would like to propose "Kowa"
"An Apache dwelling consisting of a dome shaped frame of cottonwood or other
poles, and thatched with grass. The house itself was termed, Kowa and the
grass thatch, Pi".

Neil Stein
Enterprise Web Infrastructure
phone -- 908-423-4297

-----Original Message-----
From: Mads Toftum [mailto:mads@toftum.dk]
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 3:01 AM
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Incubate TMCg2

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:30:01PM -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> A final concern was raised, TMCg2 stands for (???).  I've read it as 'The
> Management Console generation 2'.  Now from an OSS standpoint, there's no
> first generation, so I'd suggest dropping the g2 designation.  But was I
> badly
> mistaken?  Someone's suggested that the M is Merck, but I've seen no such
> ref.

I tend to agree that the name isn't very good. TMC is not a very good
choice either - Apache The ... wouldn't really work. It would be nice to
find something more appropriate before starting to create too many
mailing lists.

vh

Mads Toftum

Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck
& Co., Inc. (One Merck Drive, Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates
(which may be known outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or
MSD and in Japan, as Banyu) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally
privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this message.
 If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please notify
us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete it from your system.