From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Changes to Incubator process(es)
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:59:14 GMT
+1 - Any proposal should hit general@incubator first, No PR before that.

You state 'should'.  Reality dictates mistakes will be made on this point.

+1 - Any PR should be vetted by PRC, No Excuses.

Although it's the PRC that dictates PRC policy.

-1 - Any new proposal should have 3 ASF Members / Officers as mentors

Well, sure, would like to have, but not must have.

-1 - Any new proposal should list at least one person as a
      infrastucture volunteer.

How many times do we have to say it?  Most new persons are severely hamstrung
by what they are not permitted to do at infra.

-1 - A sponsoring PMC should hold their VOTE to sponsor a proposal or
      IP Clearance 72 hours *AFTER* it is posted on general@incubator

Nope, absolutely no call for public humiliation when the sponsoring PMC
votes it down.  We have enough traffic here, we need not see failed votes.

+1 - Any existing committer from any Apache project should be able to
      volunteer to work on the proposed project within the 72 hours. Any
      later, it would be through regular karma process. (To promote
      inclusion/diversification from day one)

Although the 72 hr thing is silly, just state this policy starts upon
creation of the project wiki page, once it's voted in.

+1 - IP Clearance needs to be preceded by a proposal posted to
      general@incubator as well

Although not prior to the PMC's vote.  See last note below, it would apply
to any code moving through incubator.

-1 - IP Clearance has to be OK'ed by Incubator PMC VOTE (before code
      gets checked in to a sponsoring project's SVN)

Another must?  Sure we can hold advisory vote, but IP clearance was voted up
by the sponsoring PMC before code may be checked in.  I would suggest that
general@incubator must be *notified* prior.  But bad checkins can be reversed
and our vote would only be advisory anyways.

-1 - Petition the Board to require Incubator PMC VOTE to begin
      incubation process even for projects that other PMC's want to sponsor.

That is, I'm against this entirely, it the project falls under that PMC's
charter.  The board already granted them charter to manage such projects.

+1 - Within 72 hours of a new project hitting the general@incubator
      mailing list, that any incubator PMC member can call for an advisory
      vote and comment period if they see issues with what's been presented
      by the sponsoring PMC.

Oversight is always good, this is just a way of stating it formally.