From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ajax proposal?
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2006 18:38:14 GMT
Martin Cooper wrote:
> On 1/4/06, Sanjiva Weerawarana <sanjiva@opensource.lk> wrote:
>
>>So .. amidst all of our soul searching .. what'd we decide to do with
>>the Ajax proposal from IBM et al.?? Did I miss the vote and decision??
>
> I don't believe there is a sponsoring PMC at this point.

Once we have had a chance to digest all the input and finish dotting the
I's and crossing the T's from a legal perspective, Adam or I will come
back to ask for a vote.

> Personally, I would prefer that the ASF not accept _any_ AJAX framework at
> this point in time. The area is relatively new and in a great deal of flux
> right now, and "crowning" one of them with the ASF brand will create a de
> facto standard instead of letting the market decide, whether we like it or
> not.
>
> I realise that the Incubator doesn't work that way, though, and that plenty
> of people don't seem to care / mind that we'd create a (premature, IMHO) de
> facto standard, but I can always hope. ;-)

Sanjiva and I have experience with Apache SOAP.  Two rewrites later, and
there is a thriving community working on Apache Axis2.

The goal here is not to "crown" anything, but to provide the grain of
sand that will lead to the production of a pearl.

- Sam Ruby