From David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: moving JAM to org.apache.jam
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2004 20:27:50 GMT

On Friday, March 26, 2004, at 11:46 AM, Patrick Calahan wrote:

> At 01:41 AM 3/26/2004 -0500, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>> Patrick,
>
> Hi Noel.  Thanks for the response.
>
>> I'm replying to you on general@incubator.apache.org.  The projects@
>> list is
>> a catchall for projects that don't have their own list, but the place
>> where
>> you want to discuss a proposal is general@.
>
> Ok, thanks for the clarification.
>

>> You basic "service provider" approach of using an
>> implementation-agnostic
>> user side, and implementations for various meta-data implementations
>> looks
>> like a good way to address the problem.
>>
>> Have you approached any of the projects, such as Geronimo?  If it were
>
> Not yet, but that seems like a good idea - will do.

I think adding JAM to Geronimo might create problems since geronimo
uses xmlbeans rather heavily in its build process.  I don't see an
obvious way to sidestep the circular dependency.

>> accepted into the Incubator, where would you expect the code to go
>
> I'm not certain, but in some ways JAM like a very good fit with
> Jakarta.  I'm hoping you all can help me figure out the most
> appropriate trajectory for it, though.
>

>> eventually?  And how big would you say your contributor community is
>> today?
>
> As I say, JAM has been spun out of my contributions to Xml-beans, and
> it really doesn't yet have it's own contributor community.  Since it
> is in the Xml-beans repository, in a sense all current Xml-beans
> committers are part of its contributor community.

I took a quick peek at your website on jam, and it looks very very
interesting.  I wonder if the xdoclet2 folks are aware of it...

I would think that the best place for it now would be with the xmlbeans
project, but:
-moved to org.apache.jam package
-compiled into a separate jar, then used by xmlbeans.

Maven makes this kind of "multiproject projects" rather easy to set up,
but mavenizing the rest of the xmlbeans build could be a challenge.

Not that I am any kind of expert, but I would wait to try to make a
separate project until it has more explicit contributors.

thanks
david jencks