From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@4quarters.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Granting committer status to log4net developers
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:31:05 GMT

On Jan 14, 2004, at 6:09 PM, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>>
>> Eh.  I think community doesn't matter at all when the Incubator is
>> simply performing accountable legal oversight.  If a TLP says they
>> want
>> a codebase from the outside, and we have determined that there are no
>> legal impediments to that codebase from entering the ASF, then that
>> should be that...
>
> but that's *not* all it's supposed to be doing.  that's the stuff
> it *must* do for the legal well-being of the asf.  for the social
> well-being, it also is supposed to ensure that people coming in
> with a new codebase understand how the asf works, how the voting
> model functions, the release process, peer review, et cetera.  one
> of the reasons the incubator came into existence was because apparently
> a *lot* of people had become committers withoug any of that ever being
> made clear.  ref the 'why the hell should i want to be an asf member'
> discussion last year.

Community is important.

  I think that there are at least two categories of activity that the
Inubator must do :

1) IP Vetting for largish software grants from outside coming into
healthy active PMCs, to make sure that the code is unencumbered and
properly licensed.  I think MerlinDeveloper would be such an example?
Or recent additions to Maven?

2) Community establishment for something new, like Geronomio, where you
are bootstrapping a project from the ground up, or when bringing in an
existing community from outside.

I will agree that my comment was poorly placed, thread-wise, as the
thread name has to do w/ what appears to be a #2 situation, bringing in
log4microsoft :).  However, my intent was to address issue #1, where it
is possible for incubator just to preform the legal audit functions.

geir

geir@4quarters.com