From David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: donation of project
Date Thu, 01 Jan 2004 17:26:51 GMT
While I certainly appreciate your concerns about releasing under a
bsd/apache style license without a community, please also consider the
difficulties of relicensing.   If you change the license from [L]GPL to
bsd/apache, you will need to get something like written agreement from
every contributor who, for example, contributed a fix to a typo in the
javadoc:-).  Realistically, I think the only way to do this is to make
people agree to the relicensing before you accept any contributions
from them.  Having done this once, without such a pre-agreement, this
is a hassle I wouldn't want to undertake again.

I've only been following this out of the corner of my eye, but I
thought at least two incubator PMC members expressed considerable
interest in this project.  It seems to me that this might be taken as
an indication that three independent committers might be easy to find
even within apache and so this project might actually be a reasonable
incubation candidate.

Hope this doesn't muddy the waters too much,
thanks
david jencks