From Matt Liotta <mlio...@montarasoftware.com>
Subject Re: donation of project
Date Thu, 01 Jan 2004 16:57:01 GMT
Thanks for all the responses. At this point, I am reluctant to release
the code under an Apache style license without a community behind it. I
don't want to see our code go into some proprietary project and never
benefit the community because the actual open release was handled
incorrectly. Right now my thinking is that we will release the code
under the GPL and put it up on Sourceforge. The GPL will protect the
code from being used in proprietary projects for the short-term while
allowing an open source community to develop. Should such a community
develop, I am very interested in relicensing our work under the Apache
license and donating it to the Apache Foundation.

Any thoughts on the above? Again, I am most interested in seeing this
project under the Apache umbrella to ensure that the Java community
benefits, so any thoughts on best how to accomplish that in regard to
the above concern would be appreciated.

On a side note, I did contact the Eclipse project to see if they were
interested, but our use of Swing pretty much ended those conversations.
I am also trying to convince Sun that they should include the code in
the JDK as they already have similar functionality albeit out of date.

Matt Liotta
Montara Software, Inc.
http://www.MontaraSoftware.com