From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Granting committer status to log4net developers
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:56:09 GMT
At 09:19 AM 1/12/2004 -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> >>http://incubator.apache.org/faq.html#does_project_X_really_need_Incubation
> >>http://incubator.apache.org/faq.html#can_Incubation_be_skipped
> >>http://incubator.apache.org/faq.html#project_XXX_makes_no_mention_of_Inc
> ubator
> >
> > That does not really answer my question. On the contrary, it tends to
> confirm
> > my fears.
>
>what part of 'outside code can *only* come to the asf through the incubator'
>do you find unclear?  and what fears are these that you say you have?

The stated purpose of the Logging Services project is the inclusion of
projects such as log4net, log4php, log4cpp or log4cxx. These projects
already are open sourced, some even under the Apache license. The
various actors are working on the legal aspects. Once that is done,
what purpose does it serve to have the projects go through the
incubator PMC and then back into LS? It just doesn't make sense. The
fact that Incubator carries a big stick does not change the logic, or
lack thereof.

Maybe I don't understand what the incubator is about but from where I
stand it looks more like a bureaucratic hurdle rather than a
service. I was trying to understand what the incubator brought to the
table in terms of advantages. Hence my initial question. The responses
I got this far seem to confirm my fears (the incubator being a
hurdle).

I am more than happy to revise my impressions.

>the advantage for log4net if it comes through the incubator is that it
>can become part of the asf.  your alternative 'instead of through ls'
>simply isn't an option.  so either log4net comes in through the incubator
>on its way to join ls.. or it doesn't become part of the asf *at all*.

Once the legal aspects are resolved, why adopt such a radical
position? Is it warranted?

--
Ceki Gülcü