From "Cliff Schmidt" <cl...@bea.com>
Subject RE: [RT] How to graduate
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2004 06:01:46 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote on Wednesday, January 21, 2004 11:48 AM:

>> The Actual Graduation Procedure
>> -------------------------------
>> The important formal part is that the Incubator PMC votes (which
>> happens according to the 'standard' apache policy of simple majority
>> on non-technical votes, a roughly 72 hour voting period unless
>> someone requests otherwise, etc; the vote is done on the
>> general@incubator list and non-PMC members are welcome to express
>> their opinion) on the project graduation.

<snip/>

> Agree with like 99% of it. I think, however, that the input of the PMC
> that the podling will be graduating to is also important... Are they,
> in fact, ready to accept them at that time?
>
> So I see it as:
>
>      1. podlings decide they are ready to graduate.
>      2. Incubator PMC votes on that.
>      3. If successful, Incubator informs PMC (or board, if TLP)
>         that podling is ready to graduate and awaits formal
>         acceptance of such from that PMC (or board).
>
> #3 is an important check-off point, I think. The Incubator
> basically gives away the bride :)

Please correct me if I've got this wrong, but I thought the plan was
for the PPMC to be the only body voting on all matters, including the
decision of whether the podling is ready to leave the incubator.  I
think this is still accomplishing the same thing that you describe
since the PPMC includes the podling committers (1 on your list above),
all members of the Incubator PMC (2 on your list), and, if applicable,
the landing PMC, (3 on your list...although you don't show this as a
vote).

Cliff