incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Greg Stein <>
Subject Re: request to accept new project: wsrp4j
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2003 23:34:00 GMT
On Thu, Jul 31, 2003 at 07:06:13PM -0400, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Ted Leung wrote:
> > I'm unclear as to the project destination here.  Your message says its 
> > WS and the proposal
> > says Jakarta.   I just looked and couldn't find it. I also couldn't find 
> > it in general@jakarta.

And I don't recall seeing it on

Hunh. I just searched the pmc@jakarta archives for "wsrp4j" (case
insensitive). I found ZERO references to wsrp4j in the May/June/July

Also searched the archive since it was started, and I
found ZERO references.

So how exactly was this projected "accepted"? I see zero discussion before
Ken's post to general@incubator. That seems *very* inappropriate.

> > As long has voted to accept it, I've no problem.  It's just that I'm on 
> > the WS PMC and I can't
> > remember the vote for this.
> sam, davinum?  in the conference with sam and richard jacob
> yesterday, ws was clearly identified, and sam commented that
> although jakarta had been the original destination it had
> been decided that ws was much more appropriate.  i guess no-one
> updated the wiki.

Fair enough, but Sam isn't the decision maker on whether something gets
accepted, and not necessarily on where it goes. Especially when there has
been zero discussion.

> >>the codebase is dependent upon another which is *not* yet open,
> >>but which will be licensed appropriately and which is intended
> >>to follow the first one as a donation.  for internal ibm reasons
> >>to which i'm not privy, this must be a rear-drive cart.  however,
> >>since the horse will have safe licensing, i don't anticipate a
> >>problem.
> >
> > I object to this.  I would prefer to see both donated together, 
> > especially if one cannot work
> > without the other.
> can't be done.  has to be this way.  not our choice.

I'm not too concerned about having the dependent code *at* the ASF, since we
usually have dependencies on external things. However, I *do* think a
necessary precondition is that it becomes available with an ASL-compatible
license before the incubation is accepted.

> >>please reply asap if you have objections; if i don't see any by
> >>monday, i'll assume a lazy consensus and get the ball rolling.
> btw, this is primarily for the pmc, since it's the pmc's vote/decision
> about acceptance that determines it.  non-pmc opinions are
> eagerly solicited, but non-binding and advisory..

My binding vote is -1 until we see the dependency made available. After
that, +1 assuming that the WS PMC votes to actually accept the thing

I'm also a -1 on the apparent process on how this "arrived" at the


Greg Stein,

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message