From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: Revised OpenSAML proposal
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2003 19:30:36 GMT
On Thursday, January 30, 2003, at 07:08 PM, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> robert burrell donkin wrote:

<snip>

>> we've see numerous cases recently about companies sitting on IPR and
>> then suddenly demanding money as soon as the technology has been widely
>> adopted.
>>  these murky waters are muddied even further given the recent court win
>> for rambus (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/29102.html).
>> maybe apache should make sure that they can get hold of a license for
>> this technology before accepting this project.
>
> "A" license? What does this mean, that Apache has a license but all users
> of it need to ask for one too?  %-|

i think you'd need to ask an IPR lawyer this.

the way i see it (but i'm not a lawyer)...

if rsa really is offering these IP rights royalty free then apache should
be able to obtain a license. i suppose whether users will need to ask RSA
for a license will depend on the nature of the license under which these
rights are offered. if apache can't obtain a license then not only does
the ASF risk being sued but it's also clear that (some) users will have
difficulties legally using the software we produce.

maybe someone at the ASF needs to approach RSA officially and find out
what their position is.

- robert