From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Bylaws duplication
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:27:13 GMT
Hi all,

It seems that I too was under the impression that the incubator project
would be providing the documentation on the "Apache Way". AIUI, Incubator
would not only serve to help new projects develop the Apache way of doing
things, it would serve as the definitive reference for all other projects.
Sander has raised the possibility that this may not be the case.

Nevertheless, with the promotion of a number of new top level projects, the
new PMCs are all required to come up with Bylaws for the management of their
  projects. IMHO, the bylaws for all these projects should be largely the
same, since they all support the operation of what is known as the Apache
Way. If the projects develop them independently, as is happening now, we
will come to similar but perhaps subtly different interpretations of the
Apache Way. Also being indepedently maintained, these differences can grow
over time.

Let me propose a few questions to see if there is consensus:

1. Should there be a common set of bylaws to govern all Apache projects.
Individual projects could apply amendments, if necessary, to provide for
their own requirements. For example, Incubator itself may have unique rules
for project adoption decisions, etc.

2. If there should be a common set of bylaws, where should it be maintained?
Should it live in Incubator or somwhere else. If so, where do you think?

As part of the Ant PMC establishment process, I have developed a draft set
of bylaws. The Ant PMC is currently considering these. I think the Avalon
PMC is also working on this (I think they are probably adopting a quite
different approach).

Anyway, I can contribute my draft if there is consensus to do that here.

Cheers
Conor