From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New Jakarta proposal: Pluto
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2003 13:16:27 GMT
I think the incubator should take in to account that committers/memebers
w/in the Jakarta Community have serious reservations about the community
issues here.  While I really want to see this happen here, Steven is
right to question some serious community issues.  BTW here are mine:

"
Please note that my support is based on the following assumptions:

    1. all spec/seed code will be released (this, in my opinion, must be
done prior to consideration) If thats not till March, then the project
can't reasonably be considered until March. (We don't take on other
closed source projects)
    2. David Taylor and the other committee members will soon be
released from the Non-Disclosure agreements they are currently under so
that they can participate freely. (You can't have a community based on a
closed spec where the members can't speak freely).
    3. I'm assuming that others including from the Jetspeed and
Cocoon-portal will go add themselves as committers...
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?PlutoProposal - I will send
an invitation out.
    4. The project will keep compatibilty with the spec but we'll be
free to expand beyond it in much the same way Tomcat and other projects
do. Xerces, for instance, doesn't solely implement just SAX and JAXP
with a parser under it. From a performance standpoint, SAX interfaces
would be nice, having them in the RI (extending the spec) would serve
this purpose.
    5. Future revisions of the Spec will happen in the open.

Please note, I REALLY want to see this at Apache, so this is not a
fillibuster intended to kill the effort to be followed by a series of
Catch-22 arguments (here, but not there, which means it can't be here).
But I don't feel the participants should be given a free pass into
Apache to create non community-based non-open projects just to get the
feather. If this is going to be an Apache project, it does need to be an
Apache project. If there is motivation on everyone's part, we CAN
obviously fix these issues by addressing them head-on in an honest and
straightforward manner.

I DO want to particpate, and I DO want to see this happen, but lets do
the community thing. We can certainly resolve these issues if all
parties are motivated.

-AndrewCOliver
"
I've also posted them here: