From Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>
Subject Re: New Jakarta proposal: Pluto
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2003 06:21:55 GMT
Should have sent to this list :-)

Conor

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: New Jakarta proposal: Pluto
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 17:19:51 +1100
From: Conor MacNeill <conor@cortexebusiness.com.au>
To: Jakarta General List <general@jakarta.apache.org>
<3E2D5C2D.10003@apache.org> <3E2D614E.2010500@outerthought.org>

Steven Noels wrote:

 > I was trying not to post the obvious, but yes: this seems largely
 > premature. No code, a restricted community, too much committers coming
 > from one company, I've seen better proposals being fought over lately.
 > Also, possible future integration 'ideas' with some related projects
 > would be comforting (Jetspeed, Tomcat, Struts/Tiles, and the Cocoon
 > portal framework for a starter).

Steven,

I think these are exactly the sort of questions incubator is designed to
answer. Tapestry was about seeing how an existing project can come into
Apache. Perhaps Pluto is an opportunity to understand how a new project
can be created and encouraged at Apache. They are both interesting
challenges for the incubator.

As for your issues, "No code" is true (for now) but that is the sort of
project Pluto represents. If at the end, the incubator PMC decides that
the project still has the problems you identify (if they are in fact
problems), then the project should remain in incubation until the
community is self supporting, or be discontinued, whatever. That is a
decision for further down the track, I think.It would seem to me that if
JetSpeed is in scope for Jakarta,

IMHO, a reference implementation at Apache of a Portal standard would be
appropriate, especially considering JetSpeed is already at Jakarta. I'm
not into portals myself so I can't really comment on the project's
merits beyond that.

Conor