From Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>
Subject Re: New Jakarta proposal: Pluto
Date Tue, 21 Jan 2003 19:44:34 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote:
> Steven Noels wrote:
>  >
>  > I was trying not to post the obvious, but yes: this seems largely
>  > premature.
>
> Deja vu.
>
> Check back next week for the inevitable complaint that Pluto is too mature.
>
>  > No code, a restricted community, too much committers coming from one
>  > company, I've seen better proposals being fought over lately.
>
> Code is forthcoming.

I would like to see either the code, or the specification, or both,
before being asked to vote for a project, or even to have to decide
Jetspeed related issues WRT those new proposals.

> Multiple existing Apache committers.  Multiple distinct corporate
> contributors.  In support of a "standard" (I'll leave that term
> undefined).  Strongly related to an existing Jakarta subproject.

What concerns me is largely the absence of any public discussion around
the API proposal. Mostly because of the XML support level. From the
origins of the stuff, I remember that the JCP proponents were not
suppporting XML stuff at all. Things could have changed a lot, since the
  world has changed a whole lot in the last two years ;-)