From Steven Noels <stev...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: New Jakarta proposal: Pluto
Date Tue, 21 Jan 2003 15:46:42 GMT
Sam Ruby wrote:
> Steven Noels wrote:
>  >
>  > I was trying not to post the obvious, but yes: this seems largely
>  > premature.
>
> Deja vu.

What else could one expect ;-)

> Check back next week for the inevitable complaint that Pluto is too mature.
>
>  > No code, a restricted community, too much committers coming from one
>  > company, I've seen better proposals being fought over lately.
>
> Code is forthcoming.
>
> Multiple existing Apache committers.  Multiple distinct corporate
> contributors.  In support of a "standard" (I'll leave that term
> undefined).  Strongly related to an existing Jakarta subproject.

That remains to be seen and is my major hesitance. Apache doing RIs is
kewl in my book. Doing it out of the blue however (sorry for the pun) is
another affair.

> I have talked to the person who submitted this proposal, both via notes
> and on the phone.  I gave explicit guidance as to what questions to have
> answered in the original proposal, where to send it (general AND
> incubator, if you notice).  To post the text on the web AND include it
> verbatim in the note.  Etc.

Sure, it was all by the book. I was lurking on JetSpeed when Thomas
became interested in it, BTW. Have lost track since then, and don't know
whether any sort of symbiosis between the (hidden) JSR community and
Jetspeed community/code exists. These questions should be asked, and I'm
not ashamed for standing up. Each in its own turn.

> I also gave warning that there is likely to be extended and lengthy
> discussion as to where this code should land instead of on the merits of
> the project itself...

Hey! I'm also doing this by the book then!? :-)

> I can't resist a Jon'ism here:
>
> Thanks for volunteering!

I'll interprete that as a Jon'ism. ;-)

</Steven>