From Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New Jakarta proposal: Pluto
Date Tue, 21 Jan 2003 15:28:11 GMT
Steven Noels wrote:

 > I was trying not to post the obvious, but yes: this seems largely
 > premature.

Deja vu.

Check back next week for the inevitable complaint that Pluto is too mature.

 > No code, a restricted community, too much committers coming from one
 > company, I've seen better proposals being fought over lately.

Code is forthcoming.

Multiple existing Apache committers.  Multiple distinct corporate
contributors.  In support of a "standard" (I'll leave that term
undefined).  Strongly related to an existing Jakarta subproject.

I have talked to the person who submitted this proposal, both via notes
and on the phone.  I gave explicit guidance as to what questions to have
answered in the original proposal, where to send it (general AND
incubator, if you notice).  To post the text on the web AND include it
verbatim in the note.  Etc.

I also gave warning that there is likely to be extended and lengthy
discussion as to where this code should land instead of on the merits of
the project itself...

 > Also, possible future integration 'ideas' with some related projects
 > would be comforting (Jetspeed, Tomcat, Struts/Tiles, and the Cocoon
 > portal framework for a starter).

I can't resist a Jon'ism here:

Thanks for volunteering!

- Sam Ruby