From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Incubator Sandbox
Date Tue, 14 Jan 2003 13:22:09 GMT

Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

[...]
(I)
> would like to see
> a codebase/community or two associated with it.  We seem to be creating
> a lot of projects these days *before* any sourcebase/community
> associated with it.  This is a great way to build a maze, but doesn't
> seed enough for fruit.

Good point.

Here they come:

Avalon has some projects that were created under Avalon but that are not
in scope, and we are going to move them elsewhere. Other projects were
already moved. They are efforts from Apache committers.

  - AvalonDB
  - EOB (Enterprise Object Broker)
  - Jesktop

I have a couple of projects myself that are on Sourceforge but I'd
happile move there instead:

  - Monarch (also based on Avalon)
  - Morphos (now in Jakarta Commons Sandbox,
             where xml committers can't help)

These are the ones that come to mind right away. Many others are in
Jakarta Commons Sandbox, like Jelly for example, and others were started
in Sourceforge, like AntEater.

As for communities, in the Sandbox they are always extemporary
communities, based on the needs that push to try new things. That's why
it's in the Incubator, where the PMC is about new projects...

Hope this explains things a bit more.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -