From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2003 18:33:40 GMT
Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Sam Ruby wrote:
>

>> What is important here is not hard and fast Rules (with a capital
>> "R"), but that we all apply common sense and try to work together.
>

> +1
>
>> FWIW, as a member of the board of directors, I voted *FOR* the
>
>  > incubator.  At the time, I didn't see it as a gatekeeper, but as a
>  > resource or facilitator.  To date, all I have seen is evidence of the
>  > former.
>
> i find that very discouraging.  'resource/facilitator' would seem to
> be a primarily passive thing, such as through the web site (glossary,
> anyone?).  i'm not sure i see how any active role surrounding the
> aspect of 'new projects must come through the incubator' can realistically
> be seen  *without* some bit of 'gatekeeper'ness.

By being such a great help and respected community builder that projects
WANT to come through the process.  To resource/facilitator I'd add
valuable mentor.  All the best mentors that I've ever had, made me seek
the mentoring from them.  Only the bad ones forced it.

By advocating (and making it so) the incubator as a resource of helpful
people who facilitate community building, help you find the right way to
get your mail lists, wiki pages, web site, etc set up.  If that were
done, I'd WANT my next project to come through the incubator.  As it
stands, I'm leaning towards just not doing it at Apache at all.  (not
saying anyone wants it here or anything, just thats how I feel about it).

The best example of this is Sam's Gump tool.  No one MADE all of these
projects (http://cvs.apache.org/builds/gump/latest/) use Gump.  Peer
pressure, the fact that Gump performed a valueable service, etc.  Sam
just was responsive to requests and "if you build it they will come" and
Gump is now building like everything.  And sam did this wihtout
utilizing "control"!

-Andy