From Justin Erenkrantz <jerenkra...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Role of incubator was Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2003 19:41:16 GMT
--On Sunday, January 5, 2003 4:32 PM +0100 Nicola Ken Barozzi
<nicolaken@apache.org> wrote:

> Ok, then why do we keep Tomcat? Why HTTPD itself? They have a
> viable community and thus little need for the ASF.
>
> Or they just have the luck that ASF had them when they were poor
> ans small?  :->

Indeed.  We helped them grow.  Part of our responsibility is to keep
them as they mature.  We should be responsible for the projects that
we accept.  We will not orphan projects as they grow.

> You sound like they want to come in to suck our blood. Totally
> defensive. Can't *we* leverage *their* community/code/vision? Are
> we so perfect that they can only suck our blood?

No.  But, I feel that we do not have the resources to accept every
project that comes our way.  Therefore, I think there has to be a
compelling reason to accept a particular project into the ASF.  As I
said, I have yet to see one made for Tapestry.

> What is the ASF mission? Form new communities?
> Then why has Jakarta not accepted projects that do *not* have a
> stable community?

That's probably because they lacked oversight from the foundation.
Perhaps that isn't the case any longer.

> What is, then? What? Some poor developers with a nice idea and in
> need of help? I'm getting nervous, because I think, yes I do, that
> we're insulting Tapestry developers. And for that I apologise.

I'm not trying to insult the tapestry developers.  I'm saying that
they already have a community built around it.  What can they hope to
gain by joining us?  Those benefits seem minimal.

> That's your opinion of course. So that means we should get only
> code dumps from companies and some poor developers with some lines
> of code, interesting ideas and a bag of hope?
>
> Come on....

How are we furthering our mission?  This is how I see it.

> Tapestry is not of quality? It's too large? How large is too much,
> let's say as Tomcat?

If Tomcat were proposed as a project, yes, it'd be too large.

> So let's say JBoss wanted to join ASF? You'd say no because it's
> too big?
>
>   *sigh*

At one point the JBoss team *was* interested in joining the ASF, but
was rejected because it was too big.  Exactly.  -- justin