From Rodney Waldhoff <rwaldh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Incubator Sandbox
Date Tue, 14 Jan 2003 00:37:14 GMT
Not that it invalidates this proposal, but for the record, the
Jakarta-Commons Sandbox has not expanded in scope.
jakarta-commons-sandbox was never intended to only house projects whose
eventual home is jakarta-commons, but rather as a place for
cross-jakarta-subproject collaboration:

"(1.5.1) the sandbox

"The subproject will host a CVS repository available to all Jakarta
committers as a workplace for new packages or other projects. Before
release to the public, code or documentation developed here must be
sponsored by a Jakarta subproject. The sponsoring subproject(s) will
distribute the code or documentation along with the rest of their
codebase."

[...]

"Should other Jakarta subprojects move their utility packages to the
Commons?

"They are welcome to do so. If they would like to experiment with
refactoring a package outside their own CVS tree, they can setup shop in
the Commons sandbox. Any Jakarta committer is entitled to write access to
this CVS repository upon request. They could then decide to propose the
package to the Commons, and thereby become committers to the Commons, or
to move it back to their own CVS [...]"

[...]

"Why not just enroll all the Jakarta committers in the Commons?

[...]

"We do have an open-door policy for the sandbox CVS
(jakarta-commons-sandbox). Any Jakarta committer is entitled to write
access to the sandbox upon request, no vote required, no questions asked.
Just subscribe to [commons-dev@jakarta], and request authorization."

 <http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/charter.html>