From Greg Stein <gst...@lyra.org>
Subject Tapestry / Jakarta (was: Role of incubator)
Date Mon, 06 Jan 2003 22:07:18 GMT
On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 10:04:57AM -0500, Sam Ruby wrote:
> Jim Jagielski wrote:
> >
> > I think that Tapestry is a complex and large enough scoped project to
> > warrant it being its "own" ASF project, ala Avalon, and not a subproject
> > of Jakarta. However, the working assumption up to now has been that
> > the graduation path was towards Jakarta.
>
> As Avalon amply demonstrated, being a subproject of Jakarta today does
> not preclude becoming an ASF project down the road.

Quite true. And Ant as well.

> (2) The tapestry folks are well aware of their options.

I'm not sure that I believe that. It would appear there is some confusion
between being "part of the Apache Jakarta branding / site presence" and
"managed by the Jakarta PMC". Avalon maintains its site under jakarta, and
Ant is under jakarta and at ant.apache.org, yet each has their own PMC.

Personally, I'd prefer to see Tapestry get its own PMC on exit.

> (3) As indicated above, any decision made now is mutable.

Yah.

> And, orthogonal to the above, I recognize that this increases the need
> for me to address the underlying oversight issues that continue to exist
> within Jakarta.

Easiest way is to stop trying and do more spawning. Turn Jakarta into the
"Apache Jakarta" brand rather than an organizational mechanism.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/