From "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hls...@attbi.com>
Subject Re: Role of incubator was Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2003 14:44:17 GMT
This sounds very Kafka to me ... your statement is that if a technology is
in good shape (mature, has a community),  then it shouldn't be added to
Apache/Jakarta/Incubator because there's no benefit.  However, from personal
experience, I know that an unknown but promising project without a community
(say, Tapestry in March 2000 -- check the e-mail achives) is very  much NOT
welcome to Jakarta.

I suppose there's a third option ... become a "journeyman committer" on
other Jakarta projects until you have the political backing to bypass this
Catch-22 filter.  My free time has been completely consumed by Tapestry for
three years, and the framework reflects that, so that was not a viable
option for me.

Here's the Jakarta mission:

Jakarta is a Project of the Apache Software Foundation, charged with the
creation and maintenance of commercial-quality, open-source, server-side
solutions for the Java Platform, based on software licensed to the
Foundation, for distribution at no charge to the public.
Nothing there that says projects must start with Jakarta, and many of the
important ones did not (BSF, ORO, Log4J and others whose history I don't
know).

Tapestry is definately commericial quality (or better) and open-source.
Apache does have a better infrastructure than SourceForge, but primarily
offers Tapestry brand-recognition.  This is very important; on SF it's
impossible to stand out from 20,000 other projects.  Moving Tapestry to
Jakarta means passing a technology/meritocracy filter.  Don't squander that
... it would survive, even if every Jakarta developer died of food poisoning
at JakartaCon2003.

What does Jakarta "get" from hosting Tapestry?  What does it get from
hosting ORO, Struts or Log4J?  It helps Jakarta with its mission statement,
by reinforcing the power of the Jakarta brand ... by delivering more
commercial-quality open-source server-side solutions.  Its a bit of a
feedback cycle, that works as long as the software is of high quality.

I'm alsop beginning to see what Sam Ruby was mentioning about "on my turf".
We seem to be having variations of the same discussion again and again, in
new places.