From "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hls...@attbi.com>
Subject Re: [Tapestry-contrib] Re: Tapestry?
Date Sat, 04 Jan 2003 01:54:42 GMT
Eventually, I'd like to change package names.  Yes, that would wipe out
history as well.  I've already subjected users to this once:  renaming
com.primix.tapestry.* to net.sf.tapestry*.

Renaming to org.apache.tapestry.* would be desirable.  I suppose doing it
sooner rather than later is good, because there's a project afoot to create
a tapestry component repository, and that will be a nightmare if there are
two competing, incompatible code bases.

Our main problem is that the source code repository is anything but
quiescent right now; we're trying to close down the 2.3 release (in the
HEAD) while forging onward with lots of 2.4 work.  2.3 will be the last
release on SF (in fact, 2.3 GA may be on Incubator/Jakarta).

I'm very concerned about losing work at this point.  If we move repositories
or rename packages, we may lose the ability to apply a CVS patch.

If it was just my branch, the problem would be more tractable; I would
simply merge in a few changes from the 2.3 code into my branch ... we could
even do renames and reoganization and check in my branch to Jakarta as
org.apache.tapestry.*/1.1.

Alas, Mind Bridge has his own set of changes in his branch.

I've never tried this, but ... we could create a new branch off of head,
let's call it "incubator".  I could attempt to move my changes to the
incubator branch, then Mind Bridge could do the same.  We could then rename
packages to org.apache and use that as the image to commit to a Jakarta
repository.