ignite-dev mailing list archives

From Denis Magda <dma...@gridgain.com>
Subject Making Ignite shmem library optional
Date Thu, 27 Oct 2016 18:53:04 GMT
Igniters,

Presently, if someone starts up a cluster and has at least two nodes running on a single Unix
machine then those nodes will be communicating over the shared memory (shmem) by default.

This approach sounds absolutely reasonable for me but the shmem library is not ideal at the
moment. I observed many situations when a cluster got stuck in the production or during long
running tests due to some unclear issues in shmem internals. Even from Ignite community side
we have the following shmem related issues
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-1578 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-1578>
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-1294 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-1294>

My proposal would be to make this library optional starting from the nearest Apache Ignite
release. As far as I recall, it’s still mandatory because it's supposed that it speeds up
our Spark and Hadoop integrations. But I would avoid using something that can accelerate a
solution and fail at some unpredictable time.

Any thoughts or controversial arguments?

—
Denis