groovy-users mailing list archives

From Owen Rubel <oru...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL]About creating open collective for Groovy programming language in the name of Groovy Community
Date Wed, 10 Jul 2019 04:29:07 GMT
Would be more than happy to contribute to open collective. The openness is
vital. There have been too many decisions that have been made that have
closed off the community entirely to the detriment of projects.

OCI itself does not realize that gated communities like Slack are not
searchable, can have their content removed and censored on developers whims
(and have) and the moderators do not follow their own guidelines.

Of note, I have sent suggestion and talked to github 'sponsors' team about
having a credit card (like prime) so that points can be added as
contributions to open source projects. Its as simple as 1% of all purchases
going to your favorite open source project. This would be hugely beneficial.

The second thing I would suggest: stop building binaries for free. Remember
MAKE files? Charge people $1-2 through the sponsor program for prebuilt
binaries but ALWAYS provide source code and MAKE instructions for free.
Only hardcore people (or people who really need to build from source) won't
pay for the binary. You can even make this a sliding scale based on region;
people in Somalia may not have that dollar so it can easily be waved.

Always charge for convenience: people will pay even a minimum for
convenience.

There are a ton of ways to get support and build out a support program for
even a small team.

Owen Rubel
orubel@gmail.com