groovy-users mailing list archives

From Keegan Witt <keeganw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New Groovy Windows installer
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2019 04:07:32 GMT
Oh, and one important note for those playing with the new installer:
uninstall the NSIS based Groovy first and make sure GROOVY_HOME,
%PROGRAM_FILES%\Groovy, and PATH are free from references to the old
installation before proceeding.

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 9:26 PM Keegan Witt <keeganwitt@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, one more item
>
> Is 200 the installer version I should use?
>

> On Sun, Feb 10, 2019 at 9:24 PM Keegan Witt <keeganwitt@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm working on a new installer for Windows using WIX to create an MSI installer,
which should be more robust for things like altering environment variables and make it easier
to do corporate installations.

>> I'm a total noob when it comes to Windows Installer and WIX, so I'm sure I've done
some dumb things, but I hacked together a basic working installer this weekend.  I've put
the initial version of the installer here.  Your feedback is appreciated.

>> Some things I'm still thinking about or working on:
>>
>> The start menu shortcuts for documentation don't go into a subfolder, I'm not sure
why.
>> Heat will generate new GUIDs for the binaries and docs folders every time the project
is built -- I'm not sure if that's the correct thing to do.
>> Would you ever want to set GROOVY_HOME without adding to PATH?  Or add to PATH without
setting GROOVY_HOME?  Currently the installer groups these together in a single feature.
>> We should use registry entries to remember which features the user selected to install,
so those are automatically selected during upgrades.
>> Desktop shortcuts.
>> Quick launch shortcuts.  I don't think people use these much anymore, but I can throw
them in -- maybe disabled by default?