groovy-users mailing list archives

From MG <mg...@arscreat.com>
Subject Re: @CompileStatic void method returns null ?
Date Mon, 03 Sep 2018 21:37:47 GMT
What I meant was: What sense does letting void methods be called make
for the dynamic case, i.e. the dynamic compiler ? From a programmer's
perspective, i.e. what is a programming use case for that
feature/behavior, in dynamic Groovy ?

Of course I can do the following in dynamic Groovy:

// Groovy 2.5.0
class Goo {
     //void nogoo() { return 123 } // Dynamic Groovy compiler: RuntimeParserException:
Cannot use return statement with an expression on a method that returns void
     void nogoo() { 123 }
}

final goo = new Goo()

println "original: goo.nogoo()=${goo.nogoo()}"

goo.metaClass.nogoo = { return 456 }

println "mopped: goo.nogoo()=${goo.nogoo()}"

Which will build, run, and output

original: goo.nogoo()=null
mopped: goo.nogoo()=456

  i.e. returning 456 from a void method in the second case.
But if I am using a library that includes the Goo class, why would I
ever expect a return value from the nogoo method (and therefore call
it), considering its return type is void ? And if I control the Goo
class myself, why would I not just change its return type to int or def ?

Cheers,
mg