groovy-users mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: About the groovy code style
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2018 16:16:09 GMT
On 04.07.2018 20:40, Paul King wrote:
[...]
> Existing rule: if the set of tokens parsed when an end of line is
> reached doesn't make a complete expression/statement, continue reading
> tokens as if the EOL wasn't there.
>
> There are exceptions, e.g. we currently don't allow single quote and
> single double quoted strings to span multiple lines but the list is short.
>
> What are your new rules and new list of exceptions?

I think it is important to have simple and consistent set of rules and
as such I reconsidered my comment and say that for the sake of
completeness to allow something like:

fooo.
   bar().
   otherFoo()

(or take an example with +), which follows this rule should be
supported, even if that means supporting

import fooo.
   bar.

or the example with --. I think it should not necessarily be our task to
prevent people from writing ugly looking code. For that I would like to
have a secondary tool.

Thank you for reminding.

bye Jochen