groovy-users mailing list archives

From Paul King <pa...@asert.com.au>
Subject Re: Groovy and JDK 11: Compilation issue
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2018 19:18:16 GMT
We use ASM 6.2 with the ASM API version set to ASM6 in Groovy 2.5.1.
We use ASM 6.2 with the ASM API version set to ASM7_EXPERIMENTAL in Groovy
3 alphas.

As per ASMs current strategy (archive protected by a spambot link - click
through and follow date):

https://mail.ow2.org/wws/arc/asm/2018-05/msg00000.html

This means that we currently fully support JDK10 in 2.5.x and JDK11 in 3.x
(bar some warnings and full support for modules which we are working on).

We slide those ASM versions along as new versions are released (after
testing of course). We have been conservative so far and not tried to put
the "EXPERIMENTAL" variants in final versions of Groovy. We can re-assess
that approach if we need to but it might introduce incompatibilities
between Groovy versions that we'd like to avoid.

Having said that, if you have simple code, you might find that it compiles
and runs fine on JDK11.
Or compiles on earlier versions but runs fine on JDK11 and 12 after that.

The master branch of Groovy builds and the runs 10,000+ tests on JDK11 last
I checked.

Cheers, Paul.