groovy-users mailing list archives

From Jacques Le Roux <jacques.le.r...@les7arts.com>
Subject Re: XML RPC Service
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2018 11:26:40 GMT
Le 26/07/2018 à 11:19, Russel Winder a écrit :
> On Wed, 2018-07-25 at 21:53 +0200, MG wrote:
>> I have no personal experience with either XML-RPC, SOAP or REST (DB
>> Developer, Web-GUI needs covered by Vaadin), but this guy expresses
>> different (seemingly pragmatic) opinion (and he is using Groovy ;-)
>> ):
>> https://sites.google.com/a/athaydes.com/renato-athaydes/posts/theretu
>> rnofrpc-orhowrestisnolongertheonlyrespectablesolutionforapis
> He also does a lot of Ceylon work, but that is a for a different
> thread.
>
>> (Generally speaking, in modern software development especially the
>> web
>> development domain to me seems to suffer from an overabundance of
>> "this
>> is the /absolute /right way to do things !" - until a
>> newer/hipper/...
>> (or simply different ?-) ) approach comes along the next year...; I
>> mean
>> I am not saying there is no improvement in some areas, but it took
>> the
>> web guys how many decades to rediscover configurable, encapsulated
>> GUI
>> components as a general concept ?-) )
> Everything in software development is tribal and fashion driven,
> sometimes a fashion leads to a genuine intellectual improvement.
>
> In a sense RPC over HTTP and RESTful Web Service are isomorphic.
> However, RESTful Web Services is an HTTP solution to an HTTP transport
> problem. Obviously it was new and shiny and therefore fashionable and
> it caught on because of that and the microservices movement. However it
> has a consistency that is appealing, and for me a genuine move forward.
>
> Yes there is gRPC and protobufs, I simply forget to mention them in
> trying to describe modern orthodoxy in Web Services – mostly I suspect
> because I do not actually use it at all. Renato confirms in his article
> that RESTful is the current orthodoxy.
>
> It is interesting that Renato ignores SOAP and returns to XML-RPC.  As
> for his code, HandlerAPI should be extracted so that both client and
> server guarantee the same interface. Also interesting that the code
> doesn't deal with XML, it is entirely hidden. So much so that JSON-RPC
> is effectively a drop in replacement. This will raise the XML vs. JSON
> argument which is another "safe technology" vs "cool kids" debate the
> outcome of which hinges totally on whether there is a schema of the
> packets.
>
> So in the end Renato's code (amended) gives a Java solution, which
> immediately means there is a Groovy solution, to the problem of
> replacing the Perl, and there is no need for a special Groovy package.

I also read that (eg) medical data transfers still use SOAP (instead of REST) because of the
complete confidentiality it guarantees.

Not sure it's totally right, but I know SOAP is secure when using WS-Security[1]

Jacques
[1] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/853620/secure-web-services-rest-over-https-vs-soap-ws-security-which-is-better