groovy-users mailing list archives

From MG <mg...@arscreat.com>
Subject Re: XML RPC Service
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2018 20:09:41 GMT
This Java lib also looks interesting, since it seems quite compact and
explicitely mentions support for asynchronous calls (if you need that),
which looks like it would lend itself nicely to be wrapped in some
Groovy goodness (see below):
https://github.com/gturri/aXMLRPC

What we have found is, that oftentimes the best approach - if something
is not covered by the core Groovy libraries already - is to pick the
best/supported/maintained Java library, and develop your own Groovy
wrapper as you go along. This is what we did with Vaadin (works like a
charm), and are now planning to do for Apache LDAP. I usually use a
static Groovy class for low level function-type support, and add
configurable instance helper classes as needed. It does not take much
effort to write these on the go, and you can use the newest Groovy
features (many older Groovy based libraries are quite dynamic in nature
I have found; if you are coming from Perl you might not mind, but coming
from a C/C++/Java background myself I prefer as much static type safety
as I can get - and modern Groovy (combined with a good IDE with Groovy
support (I use IntelliJ myself, but the Eclipse Groovy supprt recently
got a major update afaik) delivers on that, with @CompileStatic,
@Delegate/traits, final fields support in ctors, etc)).

Cheers,
mg