It’s interesting that it is slower, because I thought the point of it was to improve performance, especially regarding escape analysis and invokedynamic instruction? They’ve been publishing some very interesting benchmarks. The AOT mode is very interesting, too, especially if someone wanted to make some CLI commands in Groovy, although the resulting executables are still very large if you just wanted to make some shell “scripts” in Groovy. Though, I would suspect its AOT mode is not very compatible with Groovy due to extensive use of reflection.

Jason

From: Paul King [mailto:paulk@asert.com.au]
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2018 4:30 AM
To: users@groovy.apache.org
Subject: Re: GraalVM/Truffle ?

Running numerous scripts on GraalVM worked fine for me and was only slightly slower in my tests than the standard Oracle JVM. I haven't done extensive testing though.

As for actually leveraging any special GraalVM capabilities, I am not aware of any completed work/concrete plans to date.

As for licensing, it may or may not be an issue. We'll have to see how things progress before we can say.

Cheers, Paul.