groovy-users mailing list archives

From James Kleeh <james.kl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Groovy 2.6 potential retirement to focus on Groovy 3.0
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2018 20:14:50 GMT
I strongly advocate for option 2. I think the biggest threat to the future of Groovy is JDK9
support.

> On Jun 13, 2018, at 3:05 AM, Paul King <paulk@asert.com.au> wrote:
>

> Hi everyone,
>
> There was some discussion at gr8conf about how to speed up delivery of Groovy 3.0. Some
of that discussion was around the scope of what we want to include and have yet to complete
in 3.0 but I won't discuss that right now.

> One of the other discussion points was Groovy around 2.6. As many of you know, we have
released alpha versions of Groovy 2.6. That version is a backport of most but not all of Groovy
3.0 to JDK7 including the Parrot parser (though it isn't enabled by default). The purpose
of this version has always been to assist people/projects wanting to use the Parrot parser
but who might be stuck on JDK7. So in some sense it is an intermediate version to assist with
porting towards Groovy 3.0. While that is still a noble goal in theory, in practice, many
of our users are already on JDK8 and we have limited resources to work on many potential areas.

> With that in mind, we'd like to understand the preferences in our user base for the following
two options:

> Option 1: please continue releasing the best possible 2.6 even if that slows down the
final release of Groovy 3.0 and delays further work on better support for JDK9+.

> Option 2: please release one more alpha of 2.6 over the next month or so which will become
the best version to use to assist porting for users stuck on JDK7 and then focus on 3.0. The
2.6 branch will essentially be retired though we will consider PRs from the community for
critical fixes.