groovy-users mailing list archives

From "Corum, Michael" <mco...@rgare.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Groovy 2.6 potential retirement to focus on Groovy 3.0
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2018 12:11:09 GMT
If 3.0 will still support JDK8, I’d vote for option 3 as well.  If 3 will require 9, then
maybe option 2.

Michael Corum
VP, Technical Architecture Solutions

RGA Reinsurance Company
16600 Swingley Ridge Road
Chesterfield, Missouri 6301701706
T 636.736.7066
www.rgare.com

From: Paul King <paulk@asert.com.au>
Date: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 2:06 AM
To: "users@groovy.apache.org" <users@groovy.apache.org>
Subject: [DISCUSS] Groovy 2.6 potential retirement to focus on Groovy 3.0

External e-mail. Use caution! / Courriel externe. Faites attention!
________________________________

Hi everyone,

There was some discussion at gr8conf about how to speed up delivery of Groovy 3.0. Some of
that discussion was around the scope of what we want to include and have yet to complete in
3.0 but I won't discuss that right now.

One of the other discussion points was Groovy around 2.6. As many of you know, we have released
alpha versions of Groovy 2.6. That version is a backport of most but not all of Groovy 3.0
to JDK7 including the Parrot parser (though it isn't enabled by default). The purpose of this
version has always been to assist people/projects wanting to use the Parrot parser but who
might be stuck on JDK7. So in some sense it is an intermediate version to assist with porting
towards Groovy 3.0. While that is still a noble goal in theory, in practice, many of our users
are already on JDK8 and we have limited resources to work on many potential areas.

With that in mind, we'd like to understand the preferences in our user base for the following
two options:

Option 1: please continue releasing the best possible 2.6 even if that slows down the final
release of Groovy 3.0 and delays further work on better support for JDK9+.

Option 2: please release one more alpha of 2.6 over the next month or so which will become
the best version to use to assist porting for users stuck on JDK7 and then focus on 3.0. The
2.6 branch will essentially be retired though we will consider PRs from the community for
critical fixes.

Feedback welcome.

Cheers, Paul.