groovy-users mailing list archives

From MG <mg...@arscreat.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Groovy 2.6 potential retirement to focus on Groovy 3.0
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2018 15:24:14 GMT

On 6/13/2018 10:24 AM, h2gr@abula.org wrote:
> (I may be alone on this one, but I'd even suggest to consider some of
> the Java syntax compatibility, if this helps speed up Groovy 3. If I
> need to write Java code, I can always put it in .java files.)

Java-syntax-compatibility-only-support in Groovy is not there to be used
by Groovy developers (see previous discussions about warning when using
these constructs), but to support copy & paste compatibility for people
considering switching from Java.
I understand where you are coming from, but imho the closesness to Java
always has been another strong argument for Groovy, and considering
supporting Java syntax constructs in Groovy 3.0 through the Parrot
parser seems pretty straightforward I think we should keep doing this.

An alternative would be to support a tool which auto-converts from Java
to Groovy (I would estimate this would be more effort, and it does not
really give the "copy & paste Java code and it is Groovy" experience).
Or IntelliJ/Eclipse/Netbeans could support this as part of their
respective code refactoring support...

Cheers,
mg