Actually I found an issue in the example which incorrectly make it point to RootLoader. A better example is this

@Grab('org.ysb33r.nio:nio-gz-provider-commons:0.1')
@Grab('org.slf4j:slf4j-simple:1.7.5')

import java.nio.file.*

URI gzURI = "gz:/path/to/compressed.gz".toURI()

FileSystem fs

def cl = this.class.classLoader
while( fs == null && cl != null ) {
    println "Trying ${cl}"
    try {
        fs = FileSystems.getFileSystem(gzURI)
    } catch(FileSystemNotFoundException) {
        fs = FileSystems.newFileSystem(gzURI,[:],cl)
    }
    cl = cl.parent
}

println "Loaded filesystem '${fs}' using ${cl}"
Path gzPath = fs.provider().getPath(gzURI)
This produces the following output
Trying groovy.lang.GroovyClassLoader$InnerLoader@38831718
Loaded filesystem 'org.ysb33r.nio.provider.gz.GzFileSystem@615091b8' using groovy.lang.GroovyClassLoader@481a996b
which shows that GroovyClassLoader can be used to load the FileSystemProvider whereas the