groovy-users mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: [Poll] About supporting Java-like array
Date Tue, 01 May 2018 15:20:07 GMT
On 01.05.2018 16:26, MG wrote:
> I think we should do this, for cases where the rewards of adhering to
> idiomatic Groovy are less obvious or it might be missed that there even
> _is_ an idiomatic Groovy way to do things (I have heard some people were
> not aware that array initialization without "as" was supported in Groovy
> ;-) ).
> Any particular thoughts on how to go about adding such warnings ?

if people care about my position:
* for me compiler warnings are useless. Either there is a problem, then
it is an error, or there is not, then there is no need for a warning.
C(++) is really bad here and Java also has a bad tradition on this, that
is getting worse. I used to work with gcc for example with -Wall
-Werror, which means to turn on most of the warnings and make them errors.
* code styling is not the task of the compiler
* I have nothing against an extra tool, that tells people about coding
standards and idiomatic ways, as long as it is not part of the compiler
itself and I am not forced to use it. I really do not appreciate sonar
(nothing against the project really!) for example telling me about the
order of modifiers in my java code, just because of some obscure
readability aspect ;)
* and if you really want things to be aligned, do it like Go and make a
"code formatter tool" (it really has to be more than that), that changes
your code to "idiomatic" usage.

bye Jochen